A Little Bit of Diggle History…

 

Diggle Ranges are probably the largest member owned range complex in Great Britain if not Europe.  Records indicate that target shooting took place in our valley as early as 1860 – probably as a result of the Volunteer Rifle Corps Act of 1859.  The Ranges as we see them today, were formalised some time later and we have records confirming that the Range House was constructed by the military around 1897.

 

The Ranges were in continuous use by the military until 1973 and at that time, five civilian shooting clubs were also sharing the facilities.  When the Army pulled out, the civilian clubs were able to purchase the Range House, Ranges and danger areas comprising some 660 acres of Pennine moorland. The five clubs eventually amalgamated into the Pennine Shooting Sports Association, managers of Diggle Ranges.  The PSSA Committee is composed of elected members who stand for re-election every three years.